Four-time ARC Safari Rally winner, Carl ‘Flash’ Tundo, is the latest entrant on the eighth edition of the Kenya Airways East African Safari Classic Rally, which starts at Whitesands, Mombasa on November 23rd.
Tundo and long-time co-driver, Tim Jessop, join an impressive list of rally drivers including 1984 World Rally Champion Stig Blomqvist, WRC 1994 Safari Rally winner Ian Duncan, multiple former Kenyan champion Baldev Singh Chager, South Africa’s Geoff Bell and the highly competitive Group B Mazda RX -7 of French historic veteran, Philippe Gache.
Born in Nairobi, Carl Tundo is a four-time winner of the Safari Rally and was the first-ever Kenyan winner of an IRC round. The son of Kenyan Safari veteran, Frank Tundo, father and son return to the world’s toughest historic rally in the same Triumph TR7s they drove on the previous Safari Classic Rally in 2015.
Tundo is no stranger to the Safari Classic fold. He navigated his best friend and former Kenya Champion, Alastair Cavenagh, in a Ford Escort on the inaugural Safari Classic in 2003, repeating the partnership in 2011 and 2013.
Having won the ARC Safari Rally for the first time in 2004, Carl made his Safari Classic driving debut in a Triumph TR7 in 2015. Despite setting several very fast stage times on its last Safari Classic outing, mechanical problems restricted the TR to fifteenth overall, but the bugs have since been ironed out and the Triumph is an historic rally regular.
Tundo arrives at Safari as one of the favourites, just a few short weeks after claiming a fourth career Guru Nanak Rally win during the latest event of the Kenya National Rally Championship in Naivasha. Safari Classic rally manager, Pipi Renu, expressed his excitement at the latest additions to the entry list.
“Carl is a seasoned competitor and always on the attack. Adding his name to our line-up of famous drivers from Africa and beyond is a sizzling prospect. Safari Classic is one of the few crowns not yet added to the Tundo collection, so watching him take on some of Safari’s most famous names will be a joy to behold. Carl is a driver one should not underestimate: thrills and spills are guaranteed! We are all very excited to welcome both Frank and Carl to the entry list and can’t wait to see how things pan out.”
This year’s Safari Classic Rally is co-sponsored by Safaricom, Dodhia Packaging Ltd, Copy Cat Group, Vipingo Ridge, Internet Solutions and Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS).
More about Carl Tundo
- Team: Menengai Oil Racing
- Current rally car: Triumph TR7
- Previous rally cars: Proton Neo Satria S2000, Evolution 10, Subaru Impreza
- Family: Married
- Resides: Menengai
- Favourite TV show: Vikings or Walking Dead
- Favourite Movie: Django Unchained
- Occupation: Agribusiness
- First road car: Suzuki jeep
- First rally car: Subaru Leone
- First Event: Nakuru ’95
- Who would you most like to have dinner with? Barrack Obama
- Favourite Rally Driver: Sebastian Loeb
- Most admired sports person: Dan Carter
- 2017 goal: To win the 8th EA Safari Classic and recapture the Kenya National Rally Championship (KNRC)
- Four-time ARC Safari Rally winner (in 2004 in a Subaru Impreza and in 2009, 2011 and 2012 in a Mitsubishi Evolution 9)
- Three-time Kenya National Rally Champion in 2007, 2009 and 2012
- Kenya Motor Sports Personality of the Year 2005
- First driver to win a KNRC round in an S2000 (Proton)
- Won the 2012 Guru Nanak Rally navigated by sister Natasha